Thursday 9 July 2020

Rescue

Poem
common mix dog

The rescue people guess he’s a mix
of feist and mountain cur, a common

stray in this area. That first night,
before we thought to move his crate

to our bedroom so he could sense us near,
breathing, it was in a distant room

where first he whimpered and then from deep
in his belly began to howl and howl,

barely a breath between, the same mournful
music of bagpipes at a funeral.

He was calling his pack, calling them
to him, so alone. I imagine him

howling in dark mountain ravines, curled
in blown leaves for a bed, chasing rabbits

at dawn, his ribs sharply protruding,
hungry all the time. Beside my desk

while I write, he curls in his smallest shape,
lets out long sighs, gets up and follows me

when I move. This one won’t get away.

Tags: 


from The Bark https://ift.tt/2DqbxWP https://ift.tt/3gDQkaa

No comments:

Post a Comment

20 Best Foods for a Picky Eater Rottweiler

We hear it all the time: “Why won’t my finicky rottweiler eat the expensive food I buy them?!” Dealing with a picky rottweiler can be frust...